Posted by: Cheryl | 2011/06/21


Teen possibly ADHD

I am concerned that my teen could be ADHD or even ADD. I don''t really like the idea of ritalin. My Husband doesn''t agree with me he says it''s her personality. Can I send her for a test somewhere? And are their any alternatives to ritalin. She also has a very sweet tooth. She is obsessed with sweets etc. She is not overweight though.

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Cheryl,

My apologies for the delay.

Your GP should be able to refer you to an educational psychologist who has experience with ADHD. The edu psyc will be able to conduct an assessment. You can also consult with a neurologist or psychiatrist who specialise in ADHD, they tend to be more inclined to medicate though.

There are a number of natural remedies on the market that can assist with concentration (ADDvance, Biostrath, EyeQ being the main ones). You can also supplement your daughter's diet with Omega 3-6-9 to help concentration.

Good luck,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.