Posted by: Jen | 2011/06/24


special tinted glasses for ADD


I''ve read about special tinted glasses for people with ADD who struggle to focus on reading. My brother, who has adult ADD (he''s 30) and has had since childhood says he struggles to read because it''s almost as if the page is too white and the letters too much to handle which then makes him struggle to concentrate (that''s the best way he can describe it).
He doesn''t have any eye problems according to the optician.

Is it possible that there are special tinted lenses that can help people like this to focus better so they don''t struggle to read and concentrate?


Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Jen,

The lenses are called Irlen lenses and are simply tinted to different colours depending on the needs of the individual.

As a side note: this is not something linked to ADHD alone, there can be many reason for using tinted lenses.

Your optician should be able to assist with a referral if s/he does not make them up personally.

Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.