Posted by: Concerned Mother | 2011/05/28



My son is 22 years old now and was prescribed Ritalin from the age of 9 by the school doctor he was on it for about 2 years. I decided to stop with the Ritalin as no doctor monitored him. (He did great in school while using the Ritalin but he hated to take the pills, He has a problem now with self confidence, he is not working currently sometimes he is doing contract work then he works hard and will work till late at night. He is intelligent and has all these ideas what he wants to do but it is as if he has no drive to carry it out. While he is at home and we ask him to do something it is just such a mission for him to do it. I don''t know if he is suffering of depression (he said is not) he is maybe a little bit lazy but then again I''m not sure if it is laziness. He was working for his girlfriends father for 5 months but never got paid and if he wanted money he had to beg his girlfriend even just to buy lunch, but that became a huge problem for him and they broke up. I want him to go to FAMSA for counselling and try to get him to phone, he did phone them once but he don''t have the confidence to phone and speak to people. I try and force him but I will be making the appointment. Can he still have ADHD? He is a wonderful child I don''t have any problems with him but he''s got to start his live and stand on his own two feet.

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Concerned Mother,

ADHD is not something you can outgrow which means if he was correctly diagnosed at age 9 years, he still has ADHD.

It is very likely for adults with ADHD to develop depression and some anti-social behaviours; it is very important for him to seek help.

Although FAMSA is a wonderful start, I do recommend he see a neurologist, psychiatrist or psychologist who can help him manage his ADHD better. (If he does not want to try the medication again, I suggest seeing a psychologist).

He should also ensure he follows a high protein, low carb diet, avoids stimulants such as coffee, takes Omega 3-6-9 daily and gets plenty of exercise.

Best wishes,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.