Posted by: Person | 2009/02/19


Someone elses child

Touchy question, but I don' t know if my friend is kidding herself or if it' s ADD/ADHD related.

My friends child is very ill mannored (he doesn' t get any decent discipline at home, just shouting but no punishment from what I can tell). He' s told me once (for no reason what so ever) that he was going to smack me in my face. The other day he literally ran around taunting me as I had asked him to leave me alone while I was hanging up my washing.
He shows no remorse when an adult is getting fed up with him, and carries on misbehaving as if he' s untouchable.

I can' t approach his parents because he' s the apple of their eye and that would disrupt my relationship with them.

Apparantly he has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD but it seems to me that his behaviour is simply that of an undiciplined, ill-mannored child (with potential sociopathic tendancies?)

She keeps justifying his behaviour by blaming it on the ADD/ADHD.
I have other frinds who' s children have ADD and they are perfectly well behaved. (Hell, they are Angels compared to him)

Does ADD/ADHD turn children into little brats or is my friend just in denial and using it as an excuse.

I just want to know, because I have never disliked a child in my life, and I feel if there is justification for his behaviour then okay.

Thanks for your input.

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Person,
Unfortunately there exists somewhat of a trend at the moment to blame all poor behaviours on ADHD. Make no mistake: dealing with a child with ADHD is extremely exhausting and parents do the best they can to get from one day to another. All children, including those with ADHD, require strong boundaries. Saying something to your friend, as you mentioned, may jeopardise your relationship. It may not be pleasant, but console yourself with the fact that at the end of the day he is not your child and his parents will need to deal with him on a continuous basis. I wish I could be of more help.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.