Posted by: chantal | 2009/06/12



my genral gp told me to give my son g2 retalin witout doining any test, i just told him he has diffuclt concentrating. should i stop using the retalin and go and se a paediatricion first

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Chantal,
ADD/ADHD cannot be diagnosed just by looking at your son; your son's difficulty concentrating may be due to something entirely different. An educational psychologist will be able to conduct the relevant assessments and provide you with a diagnosis. The doctor can then provide the prescription.
Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/13

I would first have all the tests done. My son is on Ritalin has been for many years. But my pead first sent him to a educational psychologist for an assessment. It is expensive but most medical aids pay. I dont know where you live but if you live in Cape Town, you should try and see Dr Adri Van Der Walt, she specialises in this field absolutely execellent.

Reply to Anonymous

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.