Posted by: Angel | 2008/08/01


Please help

Hi Doc,

I' m not even sure if i' m on the right forum here. I' ve always been distracted easily but never the less a good sudent at school. No problem there.

The problem started the other day at work. I started switching figures around. For me, that is really strange. I' ve been good with numbers all my life and been working in financial posisions from the start. My spelling has never been that good. When I was younger they said something about a learning difficulty with letter.

I' m starting to get a bit concerned. I' ve had two warnings about mistakes made that way costing the company some money and the third mistake could cost me my job.

I' m sorry if this is not your field but any help will be welcome. Should I go see a neurologist or just try to go on as normal. I have been on medication for Bipolar disorder wich helped a lot with my consintration but I don' t like taking medication too long. Rather try to do things the natural way.

Any advice will be welcome thank you

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Angel,
Could the revesal of numbers be a side effect from the medication you are taking? Perhaps a talk with your medical professional will answer that question. I hope you are not considering taking yourself off your mediaction without consulting your doctor first. There is a process of weening yourself off which must be followed in order to avoid possible withdrawal effects.
Have you ever experienced difficulties with numbers previously? The learning difficulty mentioned when you were younger may have been dyslexia, which does not only involve difficulty with reading and spelling, it can cross into numbers as well. Your thought to see a medical practioner is a very good one; your GP will be able to refer you to a psychologist who can perform tests to determine whether there is an underlying learning difficulty.
Kind regards.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.