Posted by: Concerned | 2009/06/17


My Daughter

My Daughter is 21 has been in different remedial schools up to grade 9. She was referred to a college in the West Rand because of her age. I enrolled her but she failed hopelessly. I have tried encouraging her to do her Learners but she studies and I assist but she just can’ t remember. She failed Hairdressing, needlework and cooking. She has interest in nothing and I tried getting her a job, she wont be able to be a cashier or a receptionist as there is some words she struggles to pronounce. She goes for interviews but even when I coach her they still find her too shy or something else I don’ t know. She is at home everyday and gets more and more depressed. I tried modelling as she is a pretty girl. The photographers get angry because she don’ t listen and do her own thing, she has no education and is constantly angry, and I am very worried. Please advise

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Concerned,
From what you have said it seems likely your daughter is in a depression. By its very nature, depression ruins chances and opportunities, and requires medication to be lifted. Depression is a term we all use loosely, but a true depression changes the chemical balance in the brain and requires medication to correct it. As a first step, perhaps you could take her to see a psychologist to determine the root cause of her depression (a GP will be able to prescribe the anti-depressant). Once this is under control, further investigation might be needed to understand why your daughter has not succeeded at her relevant courses, as well as why she has difficulty pronouncing certain words. A speech therapist may be able to assist to correct this. I wish you all the success in the future.
Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Du Toit | 2009/10/12

What is meant with ' girl ADD' ? Is it just ADD without the hyperactivity or is there something special to it?

Reply to Du Toit
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/18

Take her to Dr S Jeeva  Melrose Arch - he is a specialist pyschiatrist dealing with adult ADHD

Reply to Anonymous

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.