Posted by: Tracy | 2009/09/09


Foster child

I am a single parent to a foster child who has been with me for 5 years since age 6. He was physically abused and neglected. I adore him and want to adopt him. He is having learning and behaviour problems at school. Ritilin had the opposite effect. The social worker told him that if he does not sort himself out by the end of the year, she will not do his adoption. He is living in fear of being taken away because he is battling. How do I help this lovely little boy? I am also so scared of loosing him. All he wants is stability!

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Tracy,
My hat off to you for taking on this journey with a child who desperately needs it. I feel the social worker assigned to your case could have addressed the issue more sensitively - the last thing your foster child needs is more uncertainty. There are alternatives to Ritalin, should you want to go the medication route, however, these are only to be taken under the guidance of a medical professional who has done a thorough assessment and diagnosed an attention difficulty. Occupational therapy may also assist him with gross and fine motor activities which are often delayed in children who have been neglected in the early years; the occupational therapist may also suggest certain activities to help him calm his body and gain more control over it - this may assist with some of his behavioural problems. An educational psychologist (the social worker should be able to assist you here) could provide a report stating exactly what his difficulties and refer you to the appropriate therapists.
Good luck and best wishes.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Tracy | 2009/09/09

Thanks for your response. His teacher, at a remedial school, just contacted me and told me he may need to repeat his grade. I am not on a medical aid, on a single income and there is not much support where we live. I need to know what I, myself, can do for this young man of mine. He has so much anger still in him towards his biological mother and bottles things, not talking. He considers me as his mother. How do I fight to secure this child' s future?

Reply to Tracy

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.