Posted by: Audrey | 2009/09/21


Does my son have ADHD?

My son has all the symptoms of ADHD, I have not taken him to a doctor. Do the sign mean he has ADHD? Is there a special medication for it?

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Audrey,
For ADHD to be diagnosed the symptoms must be present for a minimum of 6 months on a continuous basis in at least 2 different settings. There are medications available to assist with concentration in ADHD; there are also behavioural and diet changes you can make to assist your son. If you are concerned, please have him evaluated by an educational psychologist who can provide a diagnosis as well as recommendations of the way forward. Your GP may be able to provide you with an educational psychologist who is is knowledgeable of ADHD; alternatively please go to, they will be able to recommend someone in your area.
Best wishes.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.