Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/19


Adult ADD

My husband is turning 40 in July and am convinced that he has ADD. He is a qualified mechanical engineer currently running his own retail business and no interest in improving his situation. Will not work for a boss, starts something and loses interest half way through and drops it. Fears any kind of responsibility or committment. Can he be treated and who does he need to see for help ?

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Anonymous,
Please contact ADHASA (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Support Group of South Africa) at www. or (011) 888 7655. They will be able to provide you with a medical practitioner in your area. Approach this cautiously and sensitively with your husband; no one likes to hear that they may have a 'disorder' especially if they do not know what is involved. There are still large stigmas attached to ADD (unnecessarily of course), and these kinds of situations need to be handled delicately, and with a lot of support from you and any other family members. It is important to remember that inattention need only be of concern when it starts interfering with everyday functioning.
Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.