Posted by: Lynnette | 2008/06/26


ADHD or schizophrenia

I fostercare a child who has a smaller than normal brain due to drug abuse from the mother (Grandpa powders). He has been placed in a 'kinderhuis'. This child is destructive, impulsive, manipulative, cruel towards animals. He reminds of a future criminal in process. Although he is clever enough to lie - he battles at school and is in a special class. His father is exactly the same. He is on Ritalin 20. It helps a little. Whenever he recieves an instruction the collection of this instruction lasts exactly 2 sec. He repeats negative behaviour all the time despite any efforts to change him. Could he suffer perhaps from another disorder like schizophrenia and what do I do now. It is very difficult to look after him as it fells as if he is in trouble all the time. The father is apparently exactly the same even in adulthood. Argues about everything, spiteful and mean. On a previous visit to his mother he together with a few friends raped a little girl by holding her down whilst he forced his penis in her. We are talking about kids who were 7 years old. He is 10 years of age. i AM NOW GIVING UP on him. Any advice?

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Lynette,
I admire your strength to take in any child who is not your own, especially one with such a difficult and sad back ground. Your foster child cannot be diagnosed as schizophrenic as he is too young for this label. Bearing in mind the addiction he was born with due to his mother's abuse of substance, the physiological problems together with the psychological troubles he is dealing with (a feeling of not belonging anywhere for one), you are obviously caring for a very troubled child who needs a variety of interventions. I recommend taking him to see a child psychologist, not necessarily one from the institution he came from; sometimes a fresh pair of eyes on a situation can help. I wonder if you have ever had any therapy to help you deal with this difficult situation? It is very trying and very tyring. I wish you all the best with your future journey with this child.
Kind regards.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.