Posted by: Sammy | 2008/07/11


ADHD at the age of 17

Hi there Doc I would like to know what I can give my son for concentration in school. He did go to a special school from grade 1 to grade 7 and was on ritlin. He is at a technical school but still need to concentrate please advise I am in the Cape Town earia.
Do I need to go see a doctor with him or can I get something by the chemist? I do not want to go back on ritlin because he was very stubborn, aggresive and had lots of fights at school.
Today he laughs and crack jokes and enjoy the family which he never did. Please help.


Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Sammy,
Although Ritalin works very well for some children, the side effects outweigh the benefits in others. There are other medications you can try, such as Concerta or Stratera which would need to be prescribed by a doctor. There are supplements you can get over the counter such as Biostrath, however, as with Ritalin, some people will benefit largely from these supplements while others will see little or no improvements. I do not know when last he was assessed by the GP or health professional who put him on Ritalin? As they know his medical history they may be able to provide a different alternative to Ritalin. I hope this gives you a starting point.
Kind regards.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.