Posted by: Jnr | 2009/03/19



My 9 year old son struggles with concentration in school. He is a very good reader and spells well but struggles with numbers. He is now in Grade 3.In grade 2 after his teacher complained about him not concentrating in class I started giving him concentrated Omega 3 oils and he improved tremendously, so much so that his teacher and myself could hardly believe the difference the capsules had made. My problem is that now although he still takes the Omega 3 (same brand) his teacher complains that he' s not concentrating again. He is still struggling with math. Also he becomes very angry at the slightest thing and becomes extremely frustrated, stamping his feet etc, it takes a few minutes to calm him down then he is so sad, saying he cant understand why he does this. And I can see he really regrets it. Do you think he had ADD? Who can I take him to for help and diagnosis?

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Jnr,
From your post I am not certain whether your so';s concentration and difficulties with numbers are the same or two separate concerns. If his concentration is only swaying when it comes to numbers it could very well be a form of dyslexia - one that is related to numbers alone. If this is the case, his outbursts would be understandable as an outlet of frustration: when you are good at many things and find only one difficult it seems almost illogical. For a diagnosis of ADD, his loss of concentration must be evident in more surroundings than just school; at home for example, while watching TV or participating in a family conversation. The best person to see initially is an educational psychologist who can give him a full assessment. In the meantime, try to ensure that as few negative comments are made in front of your son about his math ability or his concentration; this will only lower his self esteem and contribute to his frustration. If it is a form of dyslexia or ADD, he is not to blame for his difficulty; and if it is neither, just a matter of a poor mathematician, it is no reason for him to feel negatively about himself.
All the best,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.