Posted by: Hendre van der Westhuizen | 2016/03/28


Could I have adult ADHD?

I had a bit of a nervous breakdown/anxiety attack/sissy fit whatever it may be last year November after what was a extremely stressful year! Since then I’ve been on Serdep as prescribed by our GP for 4 months; I was on 50 mg for a month without much change and was then put on 100 mg. My wife insists that the signs of stress have been showing for more than a year before but as we are we normally don’t want to admit to our circumstances or rather situations. My youngest son (6) is in a Bio-Link program for ADHD as I refused to put him on Ritalin after the teacher/s in the preschool he was attending advised us that we consider this method of medication! He has since been moved to another school partly because I told the teacher what I thought of her school and because it was advised by a psychologist….he is now flourishing. My wife always said he takes after me…well can’t argue that! Since my “incident” last year I’ve left the company I was working for and started on my own as I am convinced that working there was one of the main causes for my situation…family business!!! 1. I find it difficult to concentrate. 2. Planning my day is becoming an issue. 3. Problem solving. 4. Getting going in the morning. 5. Communicating 6. Increasingly aggressive I must ad that I do not have any suicidal tendencies. Question: Is Serdep a suitable medication if I have Adult ADHD? Before this the strongest medication I ever used was Disprins and the occasional Antibiotics.

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert
- 2016/03/29

Dear Hendre,

Firstly, there is a strong genetic component to ADHD so if son is ADHD, there is a very strong possibility that you or your wife are ADHD too.  From what you describe above, it may well be you.  Take this as an 'aha' moment and nothing more.  If you are searching for a formal diagnosis, please consult a psychlogist.

Making changes to your stress levels is vital - ADHD or not - and I wish you every success with your new venture.  As I understand Serdep is not used to treat the concentration side of ADHD but may be used for stabilising mood which can be erratic with ADHD.  Whether this is the best treatment going forward would depend on which symptoms are most in need of addressing.  

Since medication does not seem to be your preferred method of treatment, have you considered the same/similar treatment your son is currently receiving?  

Kind regards,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.