Posted by: | 2018/04/06


Can my GP prescribe Concerta/Strattera

I would like to know if my general physician is able to prescribe either Concerta or Strattera; or do I have to go through a psychiatrist first? I have had far too many run-ins with my daughter's teacher from last year who is insistent that she is ADD and unless I medicate her she is going to fail. My daughter is 8. Up until third term of grade 1 last year there was not a hint of any issue. She has positive feedback, great results etc Within a month the teacher was telling us she isn't coping, can't concentrate etc She separated my daughter from the rest of the class ( this peeved me off no end when I found out!!), and told the class they must listen and do their work or they'll end up stupid like my daughter - again, we only found this out months later! My little girl went from happy and sociable to withdrawn and angry. She is now in Grade 2, and her current teacher is amazing. However, my daughter seems to think she is an idiot ( because that's what the last teacher told her), and now just cries and gets frustrated when she falls behind. She is not a disturbance to the rest of the class, she just drifts off in to her own world and hardly ever finishes her work. She loves being active and Art and Drama, and is brilliant at Math. She just doesn't concentrate on what she needs to do. We havehad her on mentat and combination tissue salts, as well as Omega 3 & 6 for about 5 months now. We have changed her diet to limit sugar even further, and cut down the carbs and processed junk. She is very busy with sports and swimming, and is generally happy. She flies through her homework with us, but seems to really battle to concentrate in class. We are not on medical aid and cannot afford the assessment the school is demanding be done. We are on the waiting list at a government institution but have been told this could take up to 12 months.. I have always been totally against medicating, but I am wondering if a trial run with Strattera or Concerta is possible, and if I could get it direct from our GP?

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert
- 2018/04/06

It is always recommended that a psychiatrist or pediatrician do a comprehensive assessment of a child with suspected ADHD. It is also important that comorbid conditions, and conditions that "mimic" ADHD be excluded. This cannot be done during an average GP consultation (of 15min). Once the diagnosis is confirmed, and the child is stabilised on medication, then the child can be followed up by the GP.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Anonymous | 2018/04/13

Thanks for the advice

Reply to Anonymous

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.