Donating blood isn't a trivial matter. Without preparation, you can become tired and listless after your act of kindness.
The American Red Cross offers this advice before you donate:
- Eat plenty of iron-rich foods, including red meat, leafy greens, beans, poultry, raisins and iron-fortified cereals.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Drink extra fluids – about 473 mililitres of water or something else that's non-alcoholic.
- Avoid taking aspirin for two days before the donation.
excuses for not donating blood
Celebs line up to donate blood
• Dog donates blood to save cat