advertisement
19 July 2011

Chocolate poisoning

Just like us, dogs and some cats find chocolate highly palatable but it is important to avoid giving too much.

Chocolate is very bad for your pet's health - not only does it cause obesity, but it could also poison your pet.

  • Chocolate is high in calories so it can contribute to the development of obesity.
  • Dogs fed chocolate regularly are predisposed to develop tooth decay (caries) because of the high sugar content.
  • Too much chocolate can reduce the animals appetite for it's normal ration.
  • Chocolate contains the chemical theobromine - which is toxic, and potentially lethal to dogs and cats. One reason for this is that dogs are unable to clear theobromine from their bodies as quickly as humans can. 

  • Increased urine production (diuresis)
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Depression
  • Muscle tremors
  • Death

The official LD50 (a measure of the toxicity of a product) of theobromine in dogs is 240-500mg/kg body weight of the animal. But there is a report of a dog dying after eating only 114 mg/kg body weight.

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Lifestyle »

E-cigarettes: Here are five things to know

E-cigarettes have become hugely popular in the past decade, but a rash of vaping-linked deaths and illnesses in the US is feeding caution about a product that's already banned in some places.

Allergy »

Ditch the itch: Researchers find new drug to fight hives

A new drug works by targeting an immune system antibody called immunoglobulin E, which is responsible for the allergic reaction that causes hives.

advertisement