advertisement
17 August 2010

Pets are poisoned by owners meds

Ingestion of over-the-counter and prescription drugs formulated for humans are by far the most common cause of pet poisonings.

When John D'Amato arrived home early from work one day, he found an empty bottle of ibuprofen on the living room floor - and one very sick pet.

D'Amato rushed the 38kg puppy to a veterinary clinic near his home where the staff immediately induced vomiting and began administering IV fluids. Had D'Amato arrived home much later, Otis might not have survived.

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Lifestyle »

E-cigarettes: Here are five things to know

E-cigarettes have become hugely popular in the past decade, but a rash of vaping-linked deaths and illnesses in the US is feeding caution about a product that's already banned in some places.

Allergy »

Ditch the itch: Researchers find new drug to fight hives

A new drug works by targeting an immune system antibody called immunoglobulin E, which is responsible for the allergic reaction that causes hives.

advertisement