It's winter and the roads are wet. Rainy weather can lead to bad driving conditions and serious accidents.
* Remember the stopping ability of a vehicle is reduced on wet roads – you need to reduce your speed accordingly and ensure that you maintain at least 50 percent more following distance from the car ahead of you
* maintain smooth, even acceleration on wet roads – sudden braking can cause you to lose control of your vehicle
* be aware of the threat of hydroplaning – it occurs when water puddles on the road are deeper than the depth of tread on your tires, causing the tires to lose contact with the road
* when stopping your vehicle, pump your brakes lightly and hold your steering wheel firmly
* stay especially alert while driving in poor weather