If you have persistent pain, numbness and burning in your hands or wrists, you may be experiencing early symptoms of a cumulative trauma disorder (CTD).
CTDs, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and myofacial pain syndrome, are caused by holding one position for long periods of time, non-neutral postures, cold temperatures, vibrations, localised pressure and the use of force.
Prevent CTDs with these tips from the Stanford University Medical Department:
- Break up repetitious work.
- Relax. Don't use your muscles to hold your hands or shoulders in a particular position.
- Minimise contact with hard or sharp surfaces.
- Try to move with an even motion and avoid snapping or jerking your wrist.
- Keep your hands and fingers warm.
- Change your posture often.
Computers off the hook
Surgery best for wrist pain