A dried-out tree or dangerous decorations pose significant fire and injury hazards to you and your family.
To help ensure a safe holiday, follow these guidelines from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Decorate your tree only with materials labelled flame-resistant or non-combustible.
- If using "angel hair" made from spun glass, protect skin with gloves.
- Avoid any decorations that contain lead; instead choose tinsel, plastic materials or artificial icicles.
- Don't use decorations that are breakable or have sharp edges, especially if young children are helping you to decorate the tree.
- Keep decorations with small parts out of reach of young children, to reduce their risk of choking.
- Don't use decorations that look like food or candy. Young children may be tempted to eat them.