Question
Posted by: Fact finder | 2004/11/14

Zoonotic diseases applicable to abattoir workers

Can you please provide me with a list of zoonotic diseases applicable to abattoir workers and some case studies if possible.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Just about any zoonoses prevalent in livestock and poultry would be applicable to abattoir workers. Some examples: Anthrax, Brucellosis, Leptospirosis, Yersiniosis, Q fever, Ringworm, Cryptosporidiosis, Orf, Congo Fever. One case study that comes to mind is that of abattoir workers in Oudtshoorn contracting congo fever from ostriches.

I don’t know if you’re looking for examples outside of SA. If so, there was a study that showed that abattoir workers could be exposed to neural tissue when splitting cattle carcasses, and thus were at risk during outbreaks of BSE. In 1999/2000, abattoir workers in Singapore contracted Nipah virus from pigs.

Please keep checking this posting – I’ll be adding more info. (I’ve been rather pre-occipied with sharks lately!)