Question
Posted by: Yolande | 2005/11/21

Zoloft and pregnancy

I am currently taking Zoloft (4 1/2 months) for PND. My little one is 16 months old and was diagnosed with PND when he was about 12 months old.

I have just found out I am pregnant with no 2. Is it safe to carry on taking Zoloft? I stioll have 1 1/2 months of the prescription left.

How do I wean myself off the Zoloft as well, as I do not want a relapse.

ou ought to discuss this with your own prescribing doctor, to check on this with a doc who knows all the details of your case. But you would probably be OK remaining on the medication. DO see your shrink / doc though for a re-assessment. Don't stop taking the Zoloft until you have discussed this with your shrink. You are right to want to avoid a relapse. Generally, there seems to be little or no risk to a baby if the mother is on a modern antidepressant ; but more of a risk with a severely depressed untreated mother.