Question
Posted by: JAZZ | 2004/01/06

ZINC

HI DOCTOR,

i hope u doin well.

le'me know doctor what kind of food one should take to gain more and more zinc in the body.Is it harmful if food containing zinc is taken heavily ?

plz answer.. tnx

respect u

Dear Jazz
Foods that are rich in zinc include: seafood (esp oysters), fish, meat, wholegrains, and legumes. Never overdo your intake of any food or nutrient - more is not necessarily better! In the case of zinc we need 15 mg a day (oysters can contain up to 70 mg/100g - so be moderate when you eat this good source of zinc).

1
Posted by: John | 2004/01/07

Many protein foods like eggs, meat etc. contain zinc. However if you are eating large quantities of carbohydrate you will not absorbe this zinc and you will be deficient in all the other trace elements as well.

One of the methods used to determine the level of trace elements in your body is by hair analysis.

It is not enough that you eat foods rich in zinc, it is more important that you eat foods in the right combination and quantity.

Zinc raises the immune system and is essential for good skin amongst other things. It has been determined through clinical trials that if zinc is excluded from the diet, people develop dermatitis - hence why eczema is improved when taking mega doses of zinc.

As regards to the recommended daily allowance for zinc, this is in the region of 10-15mg. No studies have been done on the effects of taking more than this. I took more than 150mg per day with no side effects for over a year and all this did was improve my eczema and I have not had a cold ever since.

Reply to John