Question
Posted by: Katryn | 2007/08/06

zenical

Dear Doc,

I have been using zenical and are using anti-depressants Cipralex
and are always craving for sweet things like fudge which I cannot stop eating. I am 61 years old and weighs 80 kg. and 1,65 long. What is the cause of this.

Tks
Rina

Dear Katryn
Because you are being treated with Cipralex, I suspect that you suffer from a serotonin imbalance in the brain (this causes the depression and Cipralex helps to normalise the serotonin levels in the brain). People who tend to have low brain serotonin levels crave sweet carbohydrate foods because carbohydrate can also increase the serotonin levels in the brain. Discuss this problem with the dr who is treating you with the Cipralex. If you are on Xenical then you can have plenty of fat-free carbohydrate and even eat small portions of sweet foods (boiled sweets, marshmallows). But be careful that you don't counteract the weight loss induced by eating a very-low-fat diet together with the Xenical by eating too much sweet food. Your present BMI = 29,4 which is in the overweight range so it would be good if you could lose weight to get back to a normal BMI of 25 (for which you would need to weigh 68 kg). If possible do try and do some regular exercise every day like going for a brisk walk for 30 a day. Aerobic exercise also increases certain chemicals in the body called endorphins which give your mood a 'lift' and exercise promotes weight loss.