Question
Posted by: chensilvas2803 | 2007/03/06

Young Stroke Victim!

I'm 22 years old. About a month ago, I woke up one morning feeling as though continually yawning didn't help to get enough oygen into my system. To add to this, I felt my entire left side start to feel heavy and droop. I went to the doctor who suspected I'd suffered a minor stroke but CT scans viewed all as "appearing normall". Mentally, I haven't felt like myself since, and minor things such as moving around are troublesome. When one usually hears the term "stroke" they think of the elderly and bed-ridden. If I have in fact suffered a stroke, what sort of therapy is recommended for this "minor" event and will I ever return to "normal". Thanx

Dear Chensivals2803
I think you should see a neurologist to do muscle electro stimulation tests to see if there is any difference between the two sides. If there is they should exclude certain medical conditions like multiple sclerosis, and refer you for physiotherapy. You may need a MR scan too - at 22 this needs to be examined aggressively.

2
Posted by: chensilvas2803 | 2007/03/06

Thank-you for your response.
Initially I felt the same about the age factor, but given my family's medical history eg. diabetes and heart problems, as well as having an overactive nervous system, I started to think that maybe it is possible. I've come across a couple of sites that discuss strokes in children so its definitely not off the list. I've also been told that sometimes these sort of things do not show themselves on CT scans but MRI's give a broader view. My worry now is that the longer it's left, the less can be done. I feel so frustrated - physically & mentally I feel as though I'm somewhat asleep and can't "wake up" properly. I'll appreciate any advice! Thanx.

Reply to chensilvas2803
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/06

You are most likely far too young to have suffered a stroke. Especially if CT scans did not show up any problems - they would definitely have picked any abnormality of any sort.

You might have something else wrong with you and maybe should see a specialist physician if the probems continue.

Reply to anxious