Posted by: Donald | 2011/07/21

Young male wants to know how to have his fertility tested


I''m a 27 year old man. I''d like to have my fertility tested, ie I want to know how fertile I am. Where would I have this done - do I have to go to a doctor or a hospital? What would I have to do at the hospital, please explain the procedure. Thanks.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Donald

A semen analysis or sperm test would be the most effective way of assessing fertility potential. The test needs to be done with a reputable centre ideally a fertility centre or a large laboratory group such as Lancet or Ampath. The requirements and method of sperm collection, transportation etc. will have to be discussed with the individual centre. Ideally it would be recommended that the sperm sample be collected at a facility which minimizes transportation and other variables which can adversely impact on the sperm quality and hence the accuracy of the result.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Lindie (Midwife) | 2011/07/25

Hi Donald

To get your fertility tested, you would have to go to a Urologist. This type of doctor you would most probably only find at a hospital. They will then take a sperm sample to do semen analysis.

You may be asked to avoid any sexual activity that results in ejaculation for 2 to 5 days before a semen analysis. This helps ensure that your sperm count will be at its highest, and it improves the reliability of the test. If possible, do not avoid sexual activity for more than 1 to 2 weeks before this test, because a long period of sexual inactivity can result in less active sperm.

You may be asked to avoid drinking alcohol for a few days before the test.

Be sure to tell your doctor about any medicines or herbal supplements you are taking.

You will need to produce a semen sample, usually by ejaculating into a clean sample cup. You can do this in a private room or in a bathroom at your doctor''s office or clinic. If you live close to your doctor''s office or clinic, you may be able to collect the semen sample at home and then transport it to the office or clinic for testing.

This is the first step to testing male fertility. Based on the outcome of this, your doctor might advice any further medication or treatment if needed.

Reply to Lindie (Midwife)

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.