Question
Posted by: CHANTAL | 2003/12/12

Young Female Daschund with little bladder control

Please help. I do not know what to do anymore. I have 2 eight month old female miniature Daschunds. They were both sterilised 2 months ago. The one seems to have a problem with her bladder. They are disciplined, although not harshly, and they are given a lot of love and attention. They sleep inside and have their own couch as well. They are fed Vets Choice food suitable for their age and size and have access to fresh water all day. However this is becoming serious. If Abby thinks you might be angry with her, she pees immediately, if she gets excited, she pees. If you tell her not to do something, she pees - no matter how nicely you do it. I thought maybe she was just sensitive so we refrained from talking loud or harshly to her at all for 2 weeks, but it did not help. The other day I came home and greeted her and she peed all over the paving, and seemed obvilious to the fact that she was peeing all over. The vet has said I should bring her in as it could be a hormone problem. Is this possible? I have to solve this, she is being shunned because you cannot be nice to her, and no visitors can touch her, she is not allowed on the furniture. Please help - this is serious.

Hi Chantal
It could quite possibly be that Abby has a physical/hormonal problem (incontinence) which can be medicated by the vet. Please re-post this query if you'd like the vet to answer as well. However it doesn't sound like it as she seems to urinate when spoken to or looked at, which is a sign of submission. Because you have 2 female pups you are going to find that one will (hopefully, or you will have fights) be more submissive and the other more dominant. My suggestion is to be very careful how you discipline the dogs. Never reprimand or punish them, but rather use positive reinforcement (treats and praise) when they have done something good and just ignore (or distract them from) any bad behaviour. And never call a dog to be punished or it will never come to you willingly again. Greet the dogs when they are outside (always greet the dominant one first) and don't say anything when she wees, but just stop touching her when she does. She is showing her submission to you, which is polite in dog language. Be aware of eye contact and try to avoid sudden direct eye contact. Practise calling her outside (while turning side-on to her) and touching her and then gradually giving her eye contact while praising her and giving her a treat. If she wees, ignore it. Build up her confidence and trust in you. Most puppies grow out of this behaviour without any "help" from their owners, providing it is ignored and not reprimanded.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST