Question
Posted by: Janice | 2007/03/16

YORKIE PREGNANT

I took my yorkshire terrier to the vet yesterday and found out that she is pregnant. there is one BIG problem... i have no idea when they were conceived? i know it was after the 12th of January but that is about all i know!!!

The question is how do i know when she is going to give birth? Does she start lactating before the puppies are due and if yes how many days before! I work over weekends and am a little worried that i wont be there when she needs me.

What are the signs that i must watch out for

Thank you!

This has been resolved according to a recent posting.

2
Posted by: j | 2007/03/16

please phone me 0760204142 we can have a quick chat.

Reply to j
Posted by: Mario | 2007/03/16

Hi Janice.

Congrats on your new arrival. As far as i know (and im not a vet) there is no certain way of telling how far a dog is pregnant. Maybe a scan can help determine that, but im not sure.

When your dog is close to giving birth, she goes off to be alone, starts nesting (pawing together a makeshift bed), and her temperature will lower. She'll also be panting heavily. My girl also whined a lot & was anxious - she wanted to be close to me & NO ONE else!!!!

You should take her temp now so you know what her normal temp is, then when you think she's in labor, you can check again to see if it's getting lower.

My spaniel is pregnant again, i cant wait for the puppies to arrive.

Best of luck

Mario

Reply to Mario