Question
Posted by: sophia | 2007/03/08

yoghurt

Hello

Most people tell me to stay away from yoghurt (dairy), but I just love the stuff. What's so bad about it. I usually have one boiled egg with one fruit and a bout 175g of fat free yoghurt when I get home from gym in the mornings. Is this dairy really bad for me? All the gym instructors say if I want to complete in fitness competitions I have to leave it alone and I'm wondering what the big deal is?

Dear Sophia
The big deal is that the fitness instructors don't have a clue about nutrition!! I have never heard such nonsense that you cannot use dairy products like yoghurt if you want to compete in fitness competitions. If you need to keep your weight down, then use fat-free yoghurt instead of full-cream varieties. Yoghurt and other dairy products are excellent sources of high-quality protein, calcium which is essential for strong bones, B vitamins and minerals. The irony is that those fitness instructors will advise you to buy all kinds of sports products which are supposed to help you with fitness and most of these products are made of whey protein which is obtained from milk. So you see they really don't have a clue! If you are concerned about your figure and the fitness competitions then consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for your own personal diet prescription.
Enjoy your fat-free yoghurt.