Question
Posted by: Pammy | 2003/12/02

Yoghurt!

a while ago i read somewhere that if you eat yoghurt when you're on a diet then you will lose weight quicker than if you don't eat yoghurt.
So i went out and bought myself some of that 0% fat free, Vitallinea yoghurt and i can tell you that in 3 weeks i've already lost about 3 kg's.
Doc, can you please tell me why yoghurt helps you lose weigh quicker? Do you think this is possible?

My diet consists of this:
* breakfast: one Vitallinea yoghurt
* snack: 2 plums
* lunch: cooked carrots or green beans
*supper: lettuce, tomato, cumcumber, muchroom and onion salad and sometimes a little chicken

Hi Pammy

You know, I am probably not the best, most qualified person to answer this one and help you. I would rather that DietDoc answered this one, so perhaps you can send it on to her as well.

As for my opinion, yoghurt itself doesn't have any miracle 'fat burning' properties, and so if you suddenly add yoghurt to your diet, but then change nothing, you won't acutally lose weight. So, the key is probably what the yoghurt replaces, and how it fits in with the big picture of your diet. In otherwords, maybe you were eating something a little more high in calories, and fat before, and with the addition, you have removed this and replaced it with fat free, very low calorie yoghurt. Therefore, it's not so much the yoghurt that makes the difference as the fact that it replaces something in the diet, and therefore, it's the big picture that is more at work here. There may be something in yoghurt that assists weight loss - perhaps the probiotics, but I am not sure about this. As I said, perhaps Diet Doc will be able to give you more details about this and the overall quality of the diet.

Sorry I could not be more help

2
Posted by: Pammy | 2003/12/05

Thanks Bruce!!

I do some exercises everyday, about 30 mis in the morning! But i don't do anything too straining cos i don't wanna build muscle, i just wanna be THIN!

Thanks again for replying to my message!

Reply to Pammy
Posted by: Bruce | 2003/12/03

I dont think the yoghurt has a big as effect as you think it may. If you look at the rest of your diet there is almost hardly any fat there any way.Your physical activity may also play a big part in your weight loss.
Any way if it works for you then keep it up.

Reply to Bruce