Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2003/12/02

yoghurt

a while ago i read somewhere that if you eat yoghurt when you're on a diet then you will lose weight quicker than if you don't eat yoghurt.
So i went out and bought myself some of that 0% fat free, Vitallinea yoghurt and i can tell you that in 3 weeks i've already lost about 3 kg's.
Doc, can you please tell me why yoghurt helps you lose weigh quicker? Do you think this is possible?

My diet consists of this:
* breakfast: one Vitallinea yoghurt
* snack: 2 plums
* lunch: cooked carrots or green beans
*supper: lettuce, tomato, cumcumber, muchroom and onion salad and sometimes a little chicken

Dear Zoe
You are eating such a low-energy diet that you would lose weight even if you ate full-cream yoghurt! Yoghurt is one of the most useful foods human beings can eat, esp if you use low-fat or fat-free varieties - you obtain good protein and plenty of calcium, plus the added benefit of Lactobacilli, if the product is produced in such a way that the cultures are not destroyed during processing. However, I am worried that you are eating so little that you will firstly develop deficiencies and start lacking energy, and secondly that your body will shut down its weight loss systems in view of perceived 'starvation'. Rather try a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), which will provide you with sufficient energy, a more balanced food intake and prevent monotony.