Question
Posted by: Kate | 2007/03/07

Yoga vs Anxiety disorder

Hi there. I've had Generalised Anxiety disorder for the past 10 months now, i'm at a point where I have to start taking anti-dep. Feeling very reluctant to do so, I was told that Yoga could help tremendously with this. Have you had any success stories? & could this be a possible alternative for me as I have never done Yoga before?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Kate - yes and yes. We have had a number of people that suffer from mild and not so mild anxiety problems, and our experience shows that yoga can be very therapeutic in helping people take greater control of themselves. The subtle combination of stretching, breath control and intense focus helps people learn greater awareness which in turn helps manage the physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual bodies. Not having done yoga before is not an inhibitor either - its just about practising regularly over an extended period of time and in so doing you will begin to unlock the treasures of the tools and techniques. Good luck and I hope you find an experienced and empathetic teacher soon.
Chris