Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2008/01/08

yoga for back/neck arch

Hi there,

Was just wondering it any of the positions / exercises in yoga could help me. I have a slight arch at the base of my neck / very top of my back due to poor posture (as do my mother and cousins). When i sit up straight, the arch basically goes away but i need to sit VERY straight and it makes my back ache. I'm hoping there are exercises that will help me in getting my posture right as just remembering to "sit up staight" doesn't seem to work alone...

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Lizzy - new year, new resolve and I suggest you use that resolve to seek out and begin a yoga programme. The physical (there is more to it) practise of yoga is centred on the spine - lengthening, extending and strengthening the musculature that supports the spine. Thus, a regular and sustained yoga practise will help you enormously not only with your posture but your entire outlook on life, so its time to start.
Good luck.
Chris