Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2004/02/05

Yoga books for beginners??

Hi, there!

I have been interested in doing yoga for quiet a while now, but I don't want to join a gym. Are there any books or video's that you can recommend for beginners?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Sarah - I would go along with Sarah's advice here – Iyengar’s book is a great reference book and I think its important to try a few different styles and approaches before settling on what is right for you.
Good luck.
Chris

1
Posted by: silent | 2004/02/05

There's "Light on yoga" - B.K.S Iyengar's definitive tome on the topic - but I found it a bit daunting at first, I must admit. Although there's no substitute for a good teacher, I found a deck of yoga 'cards' (Don't confuse them with the meditational cards, though) at a major bookstore that I use more often than any book - mostly because they're small and easy to tuck into a bag. Each card details a specific posture, and the cards are numbered in such a way that you can build up a custom routine according to your skill level/needs.

I could list several titles, but honestly - most of the big book outlets in the major centres have dozens of yoga books (usually in the health/alternative health sections) - my advice would be to page through them and find one that seems to explain things clearly and to your liking. There really are hundreds of books, dvd's and videos out there, some catering to specifc needs, and I guess it's really down to what appeals to you personally.

Reply to silent