Question
Posted by: Dee | 2004/10/26

Yoga Beginner

Dear Fitness Doc

Please could you tell me the benefits of doing yoga. I do it once a week as I feel good afterwards but I don't know if I should be doing something alot more physical to achieve better results. I do cardio at least 3x a week and I do weight training 2x a week. What will yoga achieve other than relaxation and flexibility?

Thx

HI Dee

I remember a few months ago a similar question produced quite an animated discussion on the forum, after I said that I didn't feel it achieved as much as cardio would, as far as weight loss is concerned. I still believe that - yoga is not high intensity at all, and we know that for weight loss, you have to elevate the metabolic rate doing relatively high intensity exercise using large muscle groups. That's why walking, jogging, cycling, swimming etc. are and always will be the most effective way to train for weight loss. Now, if you want an overall, well balanced programme, then it should also include sessions that help tone and improve flexibility and improve stability and muscle strength and control. THat's where I believe yoga has benefits - it's really good for core stablity and control, and for posture and balance, and then obviously the relaxation side, which different people will approach differently. SO, in the end, it depends entirely on your goals, if you are only looking for weight loss and fitness, then you must stick with the cardio training you are doing. HOwever, I think that a well balanced programme will contain both cardiovascular (fitness type training), as well as something for stability and strength, like yoga and weight training.