Question
Posted by: Richard | 2006/11/05

Yoga before a drama prac

Hi there, I am seventeen years old I am doing a drama prac in a couple of weeks and am doing a monologue I was wondering if it was possible if you could give me some tips on how to get into character and prepare for this before hand. Also how doea one meditate? Thanks

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Richard - no small question you are asking - both meditating and yoga (which is really a moving meditation) can help you preparing but I’m not sure if I can give you enough info in a short reply. Try warrior and tree pose before (ask your nearest yoga teacher to demonstrate or search the net) to create focus and concentration. After the prac use rag doll (standing forward bend) or any forward bend to calm back down. As for meditation, the simplest technique is to sit comfortably and count your breath at the same time as you try to slow it down and lengthen it - 1 to inhale, 2 to exhale, 3... etc to 10 then start again at 1. If at any stage you lose count (which is entirely normal) just come back to 1. Start with just 5 or 10 minutes and use a timer to keep time.
Good luck with the monologue!
Chris