Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/03/03

Yoga and pregnancy

I am 16 wks pregnant. I want to do the yoga shown on your site. Which ones should I avoid, or can I do all of them.

When you are pregnant, the following guidelines should be kept in mind:

· Avoid exercises that involve the VALSALVA manoeuvre or holding your breath. This means no lifting of heavy weights which force you to strain or hold your breath.
· Avoid exercises that involve lying on your back after the 4th month (after the first trimester) as the pregnant uterus may compress the aorta and cause a decrease of blood flow to the fetus.
· Avoid exercise in which there is danger of loss of balance.
· Avoid long periods of motionless standing
· It is NOT recommended that you start an exercise programme in the first trimester if you have been previously inactive.

Therefore, yoga is a good form of exercise early on in the pregnancy, and all the exercises are suitable for you. However, after about 16 to 20 weeks, you would want to avoid lying on your back. All the other exercises should be fine to do. Remember though, that you should obtain medical clearance before commencing an exercise programme.