Question
Posted by: Laura | 2004/01/12

Yoga and menstrual pain

Is yoga good for sever menstrual pain? Anything in particular is good for it??

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Laura - menstruation and which postures to do during menstruation is a hotly debated topic amongst yoga circles (we are quite a boring bunch) with a fair amount of divergence of opinion and I certainly am not going to try and give you a finite answer on this. From the students I have spoken to all seem to get a great deal of relief from menstrual pain and cramps through the regular practice of yoga, even if it is sometimes a more gentle approach than normal. I suggest you take a look at this short article on inversions and yoga (http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/831_2.cfm) and this one on natural nutritional relief (http://www.yogajournal.com/health/98_1.cfm) and try for yourself in your own practice, being very aware of what works and doesn't for you.
All the best
Chris

2
Posted by: Namaste | 2004/02/05

Apologies - I've just re-read Chris' answer above and the yoga journal article does shed some light on my query.

Thanks!

Reply to Namaste
Posted by: namaste | 2004/02/02

While we're on the subject - why are women advised never to do inverted postures when menstruating? Is there really a medical risk involved? I did modern dance for several years and our work out included quite a few inversions which I practised throughout my cycle seemingly without any harm. In fact we were never warned of any possible side effects.

It's frustrating to have to eliminate them from my class - and I'm often tempted to ignore the warnings - would I be doing myself any great harm?

Reply to namaste