Question
Posted by: nicci | 2003/03/17

yo-yo dieting

I am a self-confessed diet know it all. Trust me, mention any priciple of nutrition and weightloss and i'll sound like an encyclopedia. The cons of high protein diet, the relationship between insulin resistance and weight gain, hi GI vs low GI, why low fat high carb is the best, exercize nb..blag blahblah. but, no matter how hard i try, i cannot practice what i preach.

I am 22, 1.8 m tall. during hgh school i weighed average 78 kgs, once rocketed up to 88. after school i mangaged to get down to 68 for a yeat, gained 8 kgs, got back to 68 for half a year, and now i'm back at 77. typical yo-yo syndrome. My biggest problem is, is that i KNOW how to lose weight. I also know what my downfalls are....i don't splurge on chocolates and pizza, but on a ggod chardonnay and capallacci with pesto or gorgonzola......

Yes, i know my metabolism isn't what it used to be at 18/19.....but i so badly wish to get back to 68....

Dear Nicci
Seeing that your present BMI = 23,8, you are not actually overweight. You could reduce your weight to 71 kg to achieve an ideal BMI of 22, but only if this does not send you into overdrive and back into the Yo-Yo dieting mode. Please stop see-sawing with your weight as this is really going to cause problems down the line because it will damage your metabolism and prevent future weight loss. Don't try for 68 kg as this is below your ideal BMI and is not really sustainable. I would like to suggest that you start doing regular exercise instead of trying to diet all the time. If you are not careful you may even develop an Eating Disorder - some of the symptoms are already in place - obsession with dieting, regarding yourself as fat when your weight is in the normal range, preoccupation with food, guilt about eating, etc, etc. This is why I suggest that you join a good gym and forget about dieting and start enjoying life which at the ripe old age of 22, is still pretty sweet.