Question
Posted by: CD | 2004/11/01

YELLOW VOMIT - PLEASE HELP!

I have a rough collie cross with a golden retriever who is four and a half years old. Over the last four days he has vomited three times but the vomit is yellow. Is this something to worry about? He is still eating his food and behaving normally.

The yellow colour of the vomit is as result of bile reflux from the intestine into the stomach, and this is normal for vomiting dogs. It may simply be a sign of some irritation to the stomach, and if it clears up spontaneously and does not affect the appetite then it is no problem. If it persists, or becomes bloody or affects the appetite, it will need treatment.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/01

I'd watch him, but it doesn't sound dicey to me, unless it's in big quantities or he's distressed in some way.

Try to check and see if it contains any blood - if so, I'd get him checked out, but if he's otherwise fine then I think I'd wait and see - dogs do puke from time to time!

Reply to Chill