Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2005/12/01

Yearly Spina Bifida tests

Good Morning,
As I am a Spina Bifida, I have to go for yearly test, which include Blood tests, Urine tests, Sonars, X-rays (for my back). To do these tests properly I need to see a specialist (Urologist) first.
I am busy negotiating with my Medical aid and my employer to put all of the above on chronic or to get my employer to compromise. They therefore need to know how much money I basicly spend per year on these tests.
Where would I find out how much these tests cost? And how much the specialist would cost? I haven't been for these tests for ages because of financial problems, I therefore do not know the going rate.
I would really appreciate a reply as soon as possible.

Regards,
Michelle

Dear Michelle,
Any Urologist would be able to give you a "quote" for the examinations. He could also tell you which blood tests he would draw and you will be able to get the cost for that at any big lab like Lancet or Du Buisson. You'll have to contact your local radiologist/hospital to find out what the x/rays & sonar would cost. - find out which x/rays the urologist would want and whether he would like to do an IVP ( kidney test) say every 5 years or so.