Question
Posted by: Clayton | 2007/05/06

Year old fracture

Dear Doc, Please can you help me???

I fractured my patella a year ago. Have just been for a MRI scan after waiting 11months for it - as I've had endless problemswith pain in my knee and am in permanent agony. My foot on that leg always swells up and then I have difficulty walking.

I am currently working overseas and am considering to return to SA to try and see a good orthopaedic surgeon- as I have been "surviving" on strong painkillers... but this is not acceptable to me- I want to have something done as I cannot go on living my life- always in pain and like this. This is what the doctcor here prescribed- and recons it's all I need; 8-10 Paracetamols daily.

The report from MRI is as follows: There is a post-traumatic cleft within the patellar hyaline cartilage overlying the old fracture and a diffuse thickening and abnormally increased signal intensity of patellar tendon... and degenerative high signal of predominantly linear configuration is present within body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus... Focal cartilage thinning/irregularity adjacent to the site of an old patellar fracture. Diffuse patellar tendonapathy....

Any advise on how this can/should be rectified?? Please I am really desperate on getting a 2nd opinion.

Is this problem difficult to "fix"?? Please help me doc.
Many thanks

Hi Clayton
the changes on the patella can just be due to the old injury and is not something that worries me too much, however, the damaged medical meniscus is probably the cause of your pain and discomfort. You probably need a good orthopedic surgeon's second opinion as I think you may need surgery on the knee. You definitely can't just keep on taking pain tablets!

1
Posted by: Clayton | 2007/05/08

Thanks Doc! Much appreciated.

Reply to Clayton