Question
Posted by: yap | 2004/10/14

yapping dogs

The people behind me have 4 maltese. One of these barks non-stop, 24 out of 24 hours. These people are never at home so I cannot go and speak to them.
The neighbours next door have 3 dauschound. There driveway is right next to my bedroom window. One also barks non stop. I have spoken to these people and was told to spray the dogs with water when they yap. When I complain they put the dog to the back and all is quiet for a couple of hours, then it starts again.
I really do not have the time (or the inclination) to be permanetly running around my garden with a hosepipe but these yapping dogs are literaly driving me mad.
The moment my eyes open I hear yap yap yap. I go into my kitchen and it is more yap yap yap.
Weekends are the worse, when I am not at work.
I watch t.v. and the yap yap even drowns the tv.
These dogs are putting me in a terrible mood as it does not stop.
Speaking to one neighbour does not help and the other one is never home. Suggestions please. I am a dog lover but am getting to the stage that I am going to go out in the middle of the night and shoot the whole lot of them.

I know just how you feel. My neighbour on one side has had a sucession of intelligent dogs, and if I hear a single "woof" from them, I look out to see who's around who shouldn't be there. On the other side, we have a lawyer with a pair of yappers, who bark at everything, including passing leaves or the wind.
I understand that the Noise pollution approach could work, but it depends on your municipality I think the rules often only apply to "the hours of darkness". here in Pretoria, we had, the last time I checked, a perfectly daft system, where the municipality would only act on noise complaints during darkness, at which time their noise office was always closed !
I'm tempted by that approach, like BEE, of phoning them at 2 am to say "I wasn't able to tell you this morning, but your dogs yappingsdisturbed me all day, and I hope you'll do something about it very soon". Such unwelcome calls at unwelcome times, at least simulate the disturbance they are caausing, and might motivate them to take it seriously. And maybe I should look out for one of those horns !

5
Posted by: ... | 2004/10/14

Gatvol I agree with you about the dog roaming around, it's the only thing my dog bark at, I've decided if anyone complains about them, I'll tell them to get the dogs in their yards and the cats from pairing in MY garden then I will do something about my dogs, don't get me wrong if my dogs bark at night, I put them in my outlide toilet, so then they stop, but if anyone complains about them barking in the day

...

Reply to ...
Posted by: gatvol | 2004/10/14

Geesh and I thought my neighbours dogs were the only ones keeping me awake.nice idea from Bull. Will try it ronight. I must admit I have dogs too and yes they bark at night too, but my problem is this, people who let their dogs roam freely at night and provoke my dogs. Then they have the cheek to confront me at church and complain about my dogs barking. One morning I am going to open my gate and let my dogs roam freely...dan sien ons wie laaste lag...

ken die gevoel

Reply to gatvol
Posted by: Bull | 2004/10/14

I got myself one of these horns that they use at SA soccer and that you can buy at Pick'nPay and next to the road.

After the 5th time I blew that horn the neighbours got the message. Everytime the dog barks (and the worst part of it is that the neighbours are at home and can hear how their dog barks) I blow the horn straight at the neighbour's house. And believe me, it gives the neighbours and that dog such a fright that even the dog shuts up for a while.

We did try to throw the dog with water but by the time I get the water ready, the dog has stopped barking and then I feel too guilty to throw the poor dog with water because actually, the neighbours must be thrown with water, not the poor dog. I am sure the dog will not bark like that if he gets enough attention.

Good luck.

Reply to Bull
Posted by: BEE | 2004/10/14

I phoned my neighbours at around 02h00 and asked them if they were f***ing deaf. Don't think that they really like me now and I don't care!

Reply to BEE
Posted by: D@mn | 2004/10/14

I once phoned the cops at 2am cause I couldn't sleep. It is noise pollution. They came round and woke the neighbours up and told them to shut the dogs up. Never had a problem again.

She did confront me and tell me it was rude to have her woken up at 2am, I replied that it was more rude to be kept up all night every night by her bloody animals...

Reply to D@mn