Question
Posted by: upset | 2005/12/08

xmas function - sexual harrasment by boss

I really need some help here!

Yesterday was our Xmas function. Due to financial constraints we had to hold it on the premises. I intended joining later as I had a project that I had a deadline on and wanted to finish first.

About 2 hours into the party as I was walking down the corridor to the boardroom I met my boss coming up the corridor. He said that he was on his way to fetch me as he wanted to discuss something with me.

As I have never spoken more than 4 words to him in the past I was suitably cautious when he told me to accompany him to his office but went anyway (just in case I was being unduely paraniod)

In the office he told me to sit down while he went to sit on his sofa. He started rambling on and I could see that he was quite pissed. Suddenly the man starts telling me that he is so turned on by me etc. and all that sh*t. I get up and go for the door. While trying to open it I realize that he ficked the latch. I am quite panicky and fummbling with the lock.

And what does he do..... He exposes his penis and jacks off right there. I was so shocked I was speachless. At least I got the door open and managed to get out.

I left for home immeditly.

This morning its business as usual!? No apology no nothing....

So what do I do? It isn't just the jack off thing. The things he said about being turned on by my type of woman etc.

IS there an HR department ? If so, discuss these facts with them, and consider the option of making a formal complaint, and at least putting it on record. As he was apparently very drunk at the time, he may not really remember what happened. But a complaint is the only way to make sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen again, to you or to anyone else in the company. I like FIO's suggestion of asking for a written apology and a guarantee of protection from harassment in the job again. Consulting a lawyer is also a good idea, as is consulting the CCMA.
Ask the immoral person in HR to put her decision, her comments, and the announcement of promotion, in writing. Insist that you receive a response in writing to your complaint, not merely something verbal which she can deny later on.
.......'s comments are experienced and sensible. And her (2) points about bypassing him if practical, is sensible.
Shooter's suggestion of getting a sworn statement in writing and witnessed is also sound

10
Posted by: shooter | 2005/12/08

i agree with the issue of going to the ccma if all else fails but to cover yourself against future action by him (he could swing the story the other way;;; that you approached him & backed out at the last moment.. go to the saps and lay a charge of sexual assault in the work place. at the least, get the occurence down on a sworn affidavit at the local cop shop

Reply to shooter
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/12/08

If u belong to a union talk to them. Was on the news last night.

This is very upsetting - not only to you, but all women and decent men.

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Deubel | 2005/12/08

Just get something in writing. If HR don't want to assist tell her you will take it further and she will also be in trouble for NOT DOING HER WORK.

Reply to Deubel
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/12/08

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/12/08

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: ........ | 2005/12/08

Upset

Whats happened here is totally unacceptable. but I want to read carefully what I have to write,

1. If you are in a small medium business and your boss is the key man in the business a case against him could have profound implications for the future of innocent staff around you, this type of thing has caused endless financial trouble for companies, if you are in a small company then talk to him and let him know how you feel, and that you deserve an apology and that you can no longer work with him and he must pay your salary whilst you are looking for another job

2. If you are in a large concern where th boss is not the key man, dont approach the HR dept close to him, go directly to the office of the MD and speak to his PA and tell her of your problem. Be sure you have the facts clear in your mind like FIO explained above. If the office of the MD is no help then go to another senior executive in the company, Someone will listen, you are wasting your time talking to people on a lower level than your boss. Directors of corporates will not tolerate this type of thing I can assure you.

Good Luck

Reply to ........
Posted by: upset | 2005/12/08

I have spoken to HR. She is taking the "He's a man and it's Xmas" As she says there might be a promotion for me in the new year.

I am really upset and offened by this attitude and am really determined to do something legal!

Reply to upset
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/08

The problem HR departments is that they at the end of the day end up protecting the bosses who pay their salaries. i know of HR people who know of harrasment but seem powerless to do anything about it. Its really unfortunate!

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/08

Demand an apology, written as a legal reference for in case later. Threaten him with exposure etc. Just make sure you get an apology in writing, and threaten him with anything you can. Consult a lawyer as reference, and speak to people about it. Get any evidence you can to substantiate any claims you have, even if it means trying to describe his physical appearance that you could only get through having seen his private bits.

Once you have the letter of apolgy, take him to the CCMA!

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Deubel | 2005/12/08

Lay a complaint of sexual harrassment with HR. This type of behaviour is unacceptable and won't stop if nothing is done.

Reply to Deubel