Question
Posted by: Y | 2007/11/27

Xenical/orlistat

Dietdoc recommends Xenical/orlistat to readers who have repeatedly tried to loose weight and failed. I'm one of those - have about 25kg's to loose. However, I dislike the idea of having to go beg my doctor to prescribe Xenical for me. I guess this is because I don't like the idea of using diet pills - even if they are approved by doctors and will feel like a failure for not being able to loose weight on my own. However I am insulin resistant and on Metformin, and I'm getting desperate. I've been trying to loose the 25kg for over 4 years now - since being diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance - but all I ever loose is some water weight - not real fat loss.

I see on the offical Xenical website that Xenical/orlistat is available over the counter in America and Australia, but not in the UK or Canada - they don't say anything abouth South Africa. Can you tell me whether there is an OTC equivalent of Xenical/orlistat available in South Africa?

Regards,
Y.

Expert ImagePharmacist

In SA you will need a prescription.

10
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/20

I ordered Xenical online and I never got it. It feels like a scam :(

Posted by: Mkipsywe | 2014/02/27

Hi, I am trying to loose 20 kgs, I am 2 days into Xenical, now and then I experience itchy burning skin and throat after taking Xenical. Is this one of the severe side effects, can I carry on using it despite the itches or should I stop using it immediately. I am desperate to loose weight and would appreciate if someone could share some information with me. SA Citizen

Reply to Mkipsywe
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/09

can I use Xenical in combination with heart medication?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/09

can I use Xenical with heart medication?

Posted by: Tebogo | 2013/08/12

What is the status of Xenical/orlistat in SA now? Is it available in the phamacies? If yes, which ones?

Reply to Tebogo
Posted by: SASA | 2008/01/21

HI,VICKY CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU BOUGHT THEM I HOPE IN SOUTH AFRICA AND HOW MUCH THEY COST,I'D APPRECIATE THE PHARMACIST TO GUIDE AS TO WHERE ONE CAN FIND THEM FOR HOW MUCH?

Reply to SASA
Posted by: celia | 2007/12/10

Which pharmacies or chemists can I purchase Xenical from in South Africa

Reply to celia | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/13

xenical is available at any pharmacy, normally it is not kept on shevels but can be ordered as long as you have a valid prescription

Posted by: Jazz | 2007/11/29

Hi, can I use Xenical when trying to conceive? I'm 20kg overweight & trying to loose the weight before I get pregnant. I gained 26kg in 18months due to stress & fertility medication.

Reply to Jazz
Posted by: Vicky | 2007/11/28

I am trying to loose 35kgs so obviously I am obese and a high risk patient. I am about to get them and I have used them before and lost 5kg within a month - so i don't see how you can think that you'd be a failure by using them. One gets to a point where you are desperate ok, and if you need something to help you then get it before it is too late! Xenical doesn't have as much side effects as compared to the other diet pills eg: pulpitations, depression etc etc. yes there is a chance that the "oil" might leak from the rear - but all you have to do is to make sure that you eat as little fat as possible and you must put on a pad (if you are a lady) I don't know about men. Try a different doctor and maybe you might get it! How much do you weigh now???

Reply to Vicky