Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/11/18

Xenical: Low fat diet?

Dear Doc
I have read all your reviews re. the above - which I have found very informative.
Pls could you explain how the tablet would work if you are on a low fat/fat free diet. The premise being that if you eat fat free meals, you lose weight hence you do not need to take a capsule.
However, what if one does not lose weight even though one is on a virtually fat free/low fat diet? Thus you end up needing to take the capsule once a day. Would this work?

Does Xenical for instance speed up your metabolism?

How would one know that it is working - it is supposed to work on the digestive tract, so does that mean an indication would be the number of times one goes to the loo?

I look forward to your response.

Many thanks

Dear Confused
Yes, if you are the type of person who can manage on your own to eat a low-fat diet then you can of course achieve weight loss without any assistance. Xenical does not speed up your metabolism. It just prevents the individual from absorbing any fat that is contained in food. If you take Xenical and eat fat, it passes straight out of the body, so you may have fatty stools and have to go the toilet more regularly. It won't work if you are already on a diet that contains minimal fat.