Question
Posted by: Roxy | 2005/07/19

Xenical

I am taking the following herbal supplments Bioharmony Immune C, Biostrath, Food State Pawpaw and Pineapple, Vitamin B Complex, and Iron supplements.
I take the following prescription meds, Alzam.

Please could you advise me if Xenical (120mg) has any adverse affects with any of these medicines or herbal supplements.

Can you have an allergic reaction to the ingredients in Xenical? I am allergic to antibiotics and iodine.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Xenical contains the active ingredient Orlistat. This medication is a so-called lipase inhibitor. Lipases are enzymes our bodies use to digest fat so that it can be absorbed into the system and then deposited in the fat stores. If the lipase enzymes are inactivated, no fat will be absorbed out of the digestive tract, no fat will be deposited in the fat stores, and the person taking xenical will start losing weight.
Orlistat may decrease your body's absorption of some fat-soluble vitamins and taking vitamin supplements is actually a good idea.
Reactions with your other medicines is not well documented, but interactions are rare - The only thing that may happen is that Xenical may cause you to absorb less of these products and that is why it is a good idea to take your vitamin supplements and other medication at least 2 hours before or after a dose of Xenical.