Question
Posted by: Joe | 2005/07/29

Xeloda - Pharmicist please help

My wife and I are currently paying for my Dad's cancer treatment. It has gotten very expensive and we where wondering if we can get it cheaper elsewhere. At the mo we getting it from Chronic Med Dispen in Midrand, we in Cape Town.
The dosage is 500mg 7 tablets a day for two week cycles with a week's rest in between. We are currently paying R3300.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Joe,

As I do not regularly work in retail pharmacy I would would not be able to give a definite 'YES!' that you will get it cheaper somewhere else, but you probably will. It may be worth your while to phone a Dischem and a Clicks pharmacy in your area and ask them telephonically for a quote. Don't be surprised if they tell you that it is something they don't keep - Very few retail pharmacies keep specialised medicine like this and you'll probably have to ask them to order it for you (this isn't at an extra charge).
Conclusion: You may get it cheaper, but the difference in price may not be as significant as you hope.