Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/21

X-ray causing cancer

About two months ago I had an abdominal x-ray taken at a hospital ER. During the x-ray, I felt INTENSE blast of energy going thru my body. Since then I started getting strange symptoms (muscle pain, twitches,joint pain). The lady who took the x-rays said I must probably be very sensitive to them. Went for a blood test and white blood cell count is hig and inflammation too. All could be indicative of cancer (leukemia). What are the chances of one getting cancer from a singe x-ray (take into account that the operator of the machine did not make a mistake and the machine itself was not faulty - all which I am going to investigate myselt from the hospital) ?

Dear concerned,
It is highly unlikely but one should ensure that the dose of radiation you got was not overly high - one should be able to see it on the x/ray as over radiation will make a whithish x/ray ( they would probably had to re-x/ray you as one can't see anything on the film then)